Steps to SDA

Turn on
Easy English

Step 1: Join the NDIS

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) helps people with disability get the support, services and care they need. You can use the NDIS if you are:

  • Aged 0 to 65
  • Live in Australia and have Australian residency
  • Have a permanent disability that means you need help in your everyday life.

Go to the NDIS website or call 1800 800 110 to find out if you’re eligible for support.

Step 2: Add housing to your NDIS Plan

Everyone who uses the NDIS needs to have an NDIS plan.

Your plan is unique to you and will say what you want to do to improve your independence, reach your goals or meet your housing needs.

As your life changes, your plan will too.

Your NDIS Planner or Local Area Coordinator will help you consider any gaps in your current supports and how they link to your goals. 

Suppose you have an extreme functional impairment or very high support needs,  your plan may include funding for help to explore your housing options. You may also be assessed for SDA funding under the housing options package.

The NDIS (not ActiveSDA or Haven; Home, Safe) will decide if you are eligible for SDA funding and how much funding you are entitled to receive.

If you think you may qualify, talk to your Support Coordinator. You can also read our list of common SDA questions for more information.

Step 3: Start looking for a home

Once you qualify for SDA funding, you can start looking for suitable housing and apply for the homes you like.

If you have Support Coordinator, they can help you compare housing options, make an application, negotiate a tenancy and move into your new SDA home.

ActiveSDA will process your application and check the SDA home is a good match for you. As part of the process, we’ll meet you, invite you to visit the house, and meet your support team.

SDA vacancies around Australia are listed on the Housing Hub website.

Step 4: Move into an ActiveSDA home

Once your application is accepted, we will work with you and your support team to help you move into your new SDA home.

This process is carefully managed. It takes time to make sure everything in place when you get there, and you have a good experience.

You will need to enter into an SDA Residency Agreement or Tenancy Agreement with us; this is required by law to protect your rights.

The agreement covers what is being provided by ActiveSDA and Haven; Home, Safe and the terms and conditions of the service, such as price, and your rights and responsibilities.

Your SDA agreement is separate from the service agreements you make with other organisations for support services in your home, such as Supported Independent Living (SIL) services.

Consumer Affairs Victoria has lots of useful information about becoming an SDA tenant.